Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The BLAST SHELTER

This post is a simple informational tour of the Blast Shelter.

The Blast Shelter is a 1973 Westwind travel trailer. Its 13" long plus the tounge, the small size is exactly what I was looking for when I found it. I needed something I could park in the driveway since it hopefully gets used often I didn't want to have to deal with a storage place. I also wanted something that could fit into most any camp spot I found since many campgrounds in Western Washington have small spots (this is due them clearing as few trees as necessary to minimize the impact of the campgrounds) larger RV spots can be hard to come by. This trailer is also a mini-toy hauler so it has 12'x4' of open floor space (makes it nice when I'm trying to put on my rafting gear!) with a rear ramp and cargo tie downs.

I found the trailer on Craigslist in Oregon for $650. Two days and one road trip later it was in the driveway for $500!
Once I got it I began the work in it to better fit my needs.
1: I repaired some bad wood inside and made sure there were no leaks.
2: A fresh coat of spray-on bed liner and a groovy silver racing stripe came next.
3: Followed by a fresh rubber-ish coating on the roof.
4: Back inside I ripped out and replaced the carpet.
5: Added some new shelves, and storage organizers, and got the ice box set up as a nice little liquor cabinet (seriously, what else could you use if for?)
6: Hung some new homemade blackout curtains
7: A big one here - installed a forced air propane furnace with an automatic thermostat - not much fun but well worth the effort!
8. welded a new propane tank bracket on the front then added a cargo carrier to the tounge
9. Changed out several lights (for safety of course!)
10. New 14" wheels and tires for better/safer towing.

There will be more to come as I find other needs and ideas and get the time to do it!
Here are some before, during, and after pics:




No comments:

Post a Comment