Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Meet B.A.R.T. -- "Big A** Rafting Truck"

This weekend there was no rafting on the books for me. Instead I made a last minute 1800 mile solo road trip to Reno to pick up our new/used truck. After selling the Avalanche I realized my need for another truck to handle all my gear while pulling the Blast Shelter over the knarly Cascade Mountain passes. So I went on the search for a full size (big enough to tow anything anywhere), 5-passenger (gotta' have a sweet shuttle vehicle), 4-wheel drive (won't let a little snow stop us), black (because it's gotta' match the Blast Shelter of course!) truck.

So I managed to round up a 2000 F250 Super Duty with all the options including the big-boy tow package, automatic transmission and the rocking a big-block V-10 engine. It had everything I was looking for (even the hand painted pin striping matched the Blast Shelter!) and since I knew who was selling it I got one hell of a deal. Some arrangements were made to get the truck and a couple days later a spontaneous road trip to Reno followed. After getting things taken care of with the truck I took my mommy out for a Mother's Day lunch followed by dinner and a beer with my dad then followed by many more beers with Philly and some old friends followed by a very long nap I was back on the road to Washington!

After I made the 812 mile drive back I fixed up a few items on the truck, did some preventative maintenance and adding a few custom touches it looks like I'm just about ready to drag the Blast Shelter all over the NW (or anywhere else for that matter) just as soon as the river levels start rising in the next couple weeks.


*I'll work on some better pics for those who care - or you can get your butt outdoors with me and meet BART for yourself

1 comment: